Extra! Extra! Read All About It
Announcements and news items are posted showing the latest item first
New Graphics & Photos - April 24, 2019
In our quest to become the best Military History Website on the Internet, we wish to share some exciting new Graphics changes and to give you a sneak peek at what our new Photo Albums will contain.
You will have noticed on the Welcome page, and on this page, the new Title Bar (just below the header picture), and the new Call To Action Bars: Where To Now, We'd appreciate your comments or Suggestions ... under which will shortly be a new form, and the Here's what others have said ... under which will be the responses received from the form.
The Graphics changes should be complete on all pages by May 8th. The New Forms are in the process of being added and are expected to be on all appropriate pages by the end of June.
John Tapper (411's Grizzly Keeper) has finished scanning close to 3,000 photos and documents from material supplied by Ron Wiley prior to his passing. He has also completed scanning approximately 400 photos from Bill Humphrey's Album, kindly submitted by his wife Joan.
We have tracked down, and will be picking up this week, the War Time Photo Albums of Doug Baker ... 400 Squadron's Photo Tech Supreme. Doug's daughter, Fran Gilchrist, is in the process of locating his Album containing his photos from his Reserve days which include many summer camp collections. John will begin scanning this early next week.
Alan Mills, our new Photo Guru, has already started processing the full load of scans from John. He is responsible for determining which photos and documents will be included in our New Photo Gallery. Alan will then process all photos selected for our Gallery, which includes re;moving dust marks and other distracting marks from the photos, adjusting their exposure, colour, and brightness. He then places them in our new photo frame and adds a caption if one is available.
An example of how our photographs will look after processing is complete is shown below. I think you will agree that we were fortunate to obtain Alan as a volunteer, not only because of his life long experience in working with photos (he worked with Kodak as a young man, had his own dark room, and was a Photo Tech with 400 Squadron in the late 60's - early 70's), but because of his meticulous attention to detail. He epitomizes our philosophy of "Perfection consists of doing ordinary things extraordinarily well."
Major Ray Peace (Ret'd) Passed away April 17, 2019
The following is from a Facebook Post by Debbie Peace-Labrecque:
"It is with a heavy heart that I post this. My father, Major (ret’d) Ray Peace (AdminO 2 RSU) passed away peacefully tonight. He fought a courageous battle with heart disease and diabetes. Please join me in spirit and toast my Dad. A soldier’s soldier . "
Your may sign the History Hangar Guest book by selecting the link below.
Website Update - April 9, 2019
Since finally getting all the information from our Old (Classic Google Site) imported on January 20th, we have:
- Designed new Graphics for the Page Headers and installed them on 100% of our 300+ pages on our website.
- Placed a "Where To Now?" section with link buttons at the bottom of about 60% of our pages
- Re-formatted the imported information and pictures imported from our Old site on about 50% of our pages
- Completed our Main Menu page with links and descriptions to all areas of the History Hangar
- Alan Mills has joined our Volunteer Team and is in the process of processing the 4000+ documents and photos from Ron Wiley scanned by John Tapper in 2015. These will be posted sorted and posted to our updated Photo Albums site. Estimated by early June, 2019.
- John has just finished scanning Bill Humphrey's photo album, kindly provided by his wife Joan, with nearly 200 great pictures. These will be processed and added to our Photo Album site as soon as possible.
- Bill Bishop has designed new Guest Book Forms (for our Honour Roll, Final Flight, Commanding Officers, and Honourary Colonel's pages AND new Page Comment Pages for all other pages. Garry will be re-=producing and installing these starting shortly with an estimated completion date by mid summer.
We are again desperately short of funds ... our operations are being temporily funded by Bill Bishop
We will be shortly sending a reminder to all past due Members but in the meantime we urge everyone who is interested in "Keeping Our History Alive" to either become a member or make a donation in any amount. Click the button(s) below.
Current Members can click the Membership Roster button to see your Membership Status.